Friday, April 29, 2011

Thoughts on a Royal Wedding

I only watched a few minutes of the wedding of the century today. And we, of course, know that in fifty years there will be another wedding of the century.


There were lots on internet stories about The Wedding being a "fairy tale" wedding and lots of comments about "princesses" and it got me to thinking...

When I was a little girl I wanted to be a princess. I wanted to be a princess so bad that my Aunt Carmen crocheted a crown for me - a lovely crown of gold and silver metallic yarns that she even backed with purple satin. I wish sometimes I still had that crown.

Back then I didn't realize that there were many reasons why I would never be a princess. I grew up in a Disney-dominated childhood of the original princesses: Snow White, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty.
Fate was against me and princess-hood.
For one, my father's ancestors came from Calabria, Italy - not royal material.
And although my mother's family was English, there were rumors of horse-thieves and stowaways on New World-bound ships. Not royalty, either.

I certainly wasn't in a position, as I became an adult, to meet and marry a prince - not unless he was admitted to the Med-Surg Unit of Easton Hospital. And said prince would have to like chubby, dark-haired girls. This, of course, was pre-Monica Lewinsky.

So I knew I would never really BE a princess.

But lately I've been treated like one - and that's all that matters.

Best of luck to Will and Kate.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ale said...

Hi!I'm an italian girl and i read your article and i agree with you.. When i was a child i wanted to be a princess, just because i saw their beautiful clothes, hair and castles. But we didn't realise how princess, expecially in the pest, were very sad and they didn't have a normal life, they didn't have a normal childhood, because their lifes were full of duties since they were born. So, let princess in their castles and enjoy the real life! :D Sorry for my English!

4:09 PM  
Blogger Juliembd said...

This post made me smile!

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home