Wednesday, April 20, 2011

AADD

I think I have Adult Attention Deficit Disorder.
I think I had it before I was an adult.

My father used to say to me (among other things): "You never finish anything you start."
Back then I thought that meant I was lazy. Today I know it really means something almost the opposite.
I have so many interests...I want to know about so many things...I want to do so many things...that I go from one thing to another...with hardly any segues.
And now I'll be marrying a man like that...
Morgan has sheds full of his "interests" and why sell his treasures: "I don't know who I want to be tomorrow."
I feel the same way. I don't know what I want to do tomorrow.

That's the way I read books, too. I have several that I read at once. Someone asked me how I do it. I don't know. I read different types of books at the same time; the specific book I happen to pick up at any given time depends on my mood. It may be a biography, a history, a romance, a mystery, a thriller. Right now I have three of those types going at once.

And that's the way I write. I go from one project to another and I finish them all - just not in a linear fashion - that's too boring. And as for my father...I finished nursing school. I finished writing several novels. I finish many, if not all, the things I start...with some interesting detours.

So maybe AADD is not a bad thing.

I just read a saying:
"ADD-make it work for you."

I'm making it work for me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Miss Pamyla said...

I love this post! I read myself in it....with one major exception. I have the starting thing down perfectly. I hate getting bored so I have lots at my fingertips to do when one of the things doesn't cut it. Lots of great, interesting stories started or outlined so (of course) if I get bored writing one, I can move on to another. It's the finishing I haven't quite got down yet. Lucky you to find someone in your world who you understand that about. 'I don't know who I may want to be tomorrow'.....a great line. I just always never wanted to be 'stuck' in something, in case I wanted to explore something else. Hazard...completing is an issue. I always hold out hope for tomorrow though...unless something else comes along.

11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home