Friday, December 30, 2005

Top Stories of 2005

Goddess, I hate those news stories, a recapping of all the (usually) awful events of the past year. I tend to change the channel when they come on. Not even looking at Anderson Cooper helps. I have the attitude of "Been there, done that" - move on!

So I'm not recapping The War or The Weather. I'm not recapping The Murders. I'm not recapping The Scandals. I'm recapping "the stories." And so (in no particular order):

A Witchy Hat off to every writer who finished their book in 2005.
A Witchy Hat off to every writer who started their book in 2005.
A Witchy Hat off to every writer who kept writing their book in 2005.

A Witchy Hat off to Stephen King, who continues to entertain me while giving me things to ponder. Having just finished the audio version of "From a Buick Eight", I am more in awe of the Pennsylvania State Police (heck, cops everywhere except some in Easton, PA).

A Witchy Hat off to Nora Roberts who has again held me captive to stories that have no murders and off-stage sex but great relationships.

A Witchy Hat off to Leslie LaFoy and "Grin and Bear It" - I laughed through the entire book.

A Witchy Hat off to Cindi Myers's "Learning Curves" - not all heroines are a size 2!

And since I've mentioned the above books: A Witchy Hat off to Harlequin for recognizing that love and relationships do not end when women reach the age of 40. "Next" is a wonderful line - keep publishing them!

A Witchy Hat off to Elizabeth Kostova's book, "The Historian". Thanks a whole lot because now I really want to visit Romania and Sophia and Turkey. And pleeeeease write the sequel.

A Witchy Hat off to Jenny Crusie for writing books about REAL WOMEN (and men) with REAL flaws. Jenny, of course, has none. And a Witchy Hat off to all the Cherries.

A Witchy Hat off to the forever young Lilian Jackson Braun, who sucks me into Pick Axe in Moose County, 400 miles North of everywhere. And a Witchy Hat off to George Guidel who is the perfect narrator for Ms Jackson's audio books; he IS Qwill.

A Witchy hat off to J.K. Rowling- "Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince" kept me company and calm while Heather's father was having bypass surgery.

A Witchy Hat off to my writing buds, the Pocono/Lehigh Romance Writers, who kindly gave me the "Tammie" for being a butt-insky --- I mean active member. And to Valley Forge Romance Writers, PLRW's sister chapter, and a wonderful group of talented women.

A Witchy Hat off to Christine Feehan - a gracious and talented writer who I had the pleasure of meeting at New Jersey Romance Writers.

And BTW: A Witchy Hat off to NJRW and their marvelous conference.

There are so many more who deserve to be mentioned: Sherrilyn Kenyon, Maggie Shayne, Sara McCarty and Dorothy Sayers (who has been gone many years but who I have recently discovered) - all writers I have read and loved this year. And so many more.

To all writers everywhere:
I doff my hat to you.

You are the "story of the year" every year.

2 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Bamberg said...

Can you give me a witchy hat for getting "Digital Art Photography for Dummies" published? It came out last month.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Mitzi said...

You got it, Matthew.
Anyone who can finish a book - on whatever subject.

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home