Sunday, December 25, 2005

My early Christmas present

December 8 holds two milestones for me. Thirty-five years ago, I was in labor - which didn't end until December 10th with Heather's arrival. Twenty-five years ago one of my heroes was murdered.

For many years Heather and I would go Strawberry Fields in Central Park on December 8th- she would go as my support, because "it's Mom's thing." Last year because she was in Seattle, I went alone. This year I planned not to go - meetings at work and the annual company Christmas Party would have made it a late trip and I didn't want to be in the city alone after dark. I planned to spend the evening listening to John's songs and reading his poems.

December 7th was very busy - meetings at work that lasted until 6. I made it to my hair dresser's appointment late and didn't leave there until almost 8 - ran to the ATM then ran somewhere else for a last minute office gift. I finally got home at 9. Famished, I was just starting my supper when the doorbell rang. It was Heather's dad. "I think I found something you love," he said. Thinking that I had an early Christmas present, I opened the door and then I heard Heather say, "Helloooooooooooooo."

She had flown from Seattle that morning and her dad had picked her up at the airport. They had been waiting around since 5 PM for me to get home. Heather and I had even talked on the phone while I was leaving Allentown, telling me she was "working" late. She wanted to come home to celebrate her birthday with me and her dad and she wanted to go to Strawberry Fields with me.

Heather and I were able to go to Strawberry Fields the night of December 8th. We walked by the shrine to John - more candles and flowers this year - along with hundreds of other people. Afterwards we walked through Central Park, glistening with lights. Forgeting the cabs we walked to Columbus Circle. Then we made our traditional walk on Broadway to Times Square where we had supper in a marvelous little restaurant called the AppleJack Diner - Heather's treat.

On her birthday, Heather's dad and I took her to see Narnia and then out to dinner. Her dad drove her to the airport the next day for her trip home to Seattle - and yes, she is making a home for herself there.

But it was the best Christmas present - since 1970 when she made her first appearance over one week late and two weeks before december 25th.

Thanks, Heather
Thanks, Rich

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home