Monday, November 29, 2004

It's not that I don't like my job . . .

. . . maybe it's that I'm bored. Hence the blogging in the middle of the morning when I should be rereading the information on side rails (shouldn't be using them even though families demand - yes, demand them; "I'll sue you if Mom/Pop falls out of bed" - when you know damn well that they'll sue you, too, if Mom/Pop gets their head/leg/arm caught inbetween the side rail and the mattress) and pressure ulcers (it seems that a resident in a nursing home should not get a reddened area, let alone an open area - let's not forget that some of these people are aged,refuse to eat, refuse to be turned and/or fight/kick/pinch,claw, dig in fingernails when aides and nurses attempt to give care - and we never have, don't now and never will pay anyone enough to do the job).

I'm bored because the scenery never changes - agency nurses who could care less, not enough money to pay for better help, not enough nurses out there even if we had enough money.

The scenery never varies - no matter what we do there is someone, some aide, some nurse, some activities person, who will give a good building a bad deficiency just because of one instance. There's no amount of Quality Improvement that can make up for the results of hiring one bad person.

The scenery is always the same - no creativity, can't do it, no way, don't try. No money to try some new human resource idea that might get staff in the buildings.

The scenery around me is always the same - except I have removed my personal pictures from my office - no one here has noticed. It's called disengaging. In my heart I disengaged a long time ago - just changing the scenery now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home