Monday, November 29, 2004

Morning Magic

I have a habit - this one is a good habit. Every morning when I go out to collect the paper, I walk to the side of my apartment building, look to the east and thank Goddess for another beautiful day - even if the weather is not so beautiful.

This morning it was beautiful. From my front porch I could see the moon, less than full and beginning to wane, hanging in a bright blue sky, a thin scattering of clouds surrounding Her. I walked around the sidewalk, cold in my stocking feet, and saw the remnants of the night's stars still visible because the sun had not yet risen. A beautiful morning.

Later, as I was dragging the rolling suitcase that serves as my computer bag out to my car, I heard a commotion of crows coming from a nearby tree. Two crows were sitting near a larger bird and the crows were not happy. The larger bird maintain his position, with just a slight turn of his head towards the unhappy couple. He seemed to look at them ("You talking to me?") and then look away. From where I stood watching, I couldn't tell if the bird was a hawk or an owl. But I was betting on hawk since the sun by then was well above the horizon. The harsh calling from the crows continued for several minutes while I watched, standing by the steps to the parking lot.

Suddenly one crow left his perch and flew to another tree, leaving one to carry on the fight for the neighborhood. The hawk just turned his head and stood his ground. Several seconds later, the second crow rose up from the branch, cawing loudly, and flew around the hawk, swooping and circling. The hawk stood his ground, or branch, as it was. The second crow finally gave up and in a huff of exasperated cawing, flew away.

Wondering if the large bird was indeed a hawk, I left my computer case by the car and walked down the alley towards the tree. I could see the bird's head turn as if watching my progress. As I neared the tree, he suddenly levitated off the branch that he had held for so long through so much intimidation and flew away. I was a bigger threat than my crow-fellows. I watched him soar away - a hawk, big and majestic.

"Thank you, Goddess," I whispered. Thank you for a magical moment this morning. I am so glad that I was able to enjoy it.

You only need to open your awareness of the world around you to enjoy magical moments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home