Friday, November 26, 2004

Black Friday

Is it called "Black" Friday because retailers hope to get "in the black" with a lot of sales? Or is it "black" because it's such a hectic, crowded day?

My Black Friday? PetCo for bags of cat food. Northampton County SPCA's website says they need cat food more than dog food. I'll drop off the food at noon when they open and then off to the movies with Lorraine to see Johnny Depp in "Neverland."

This evening I'll go to downtown Easton to watch the Candle-lighting - the world's largest peace candle covers a war monument in Center Square for a few months. I've always enjoyed the ceremony - it gets me into the spirit of the season. I haven't gone for several years because Mark didn't seem to like it. Now I can go again. I will be alone, but at least I'll be doing something that I enjoy. I've lived in Easton for almost 40 years. The Easton Candle is one of my favorite things about my adopted hometown.

When Heather was little, it was fun to see how excited she would get on the first night after the lighting when we would drive down Northampton Street and see the "flame" appear over the top of one of Easton's hills. We would then take her to Pomeroy's for a visit with Santa and her grandmother who worked in one of store's departments.

After the divorce I used to fantasize about being huddled together with a wonderful man as we watched Easton's Candle light up.

I took Mark on our first Thanksgiving weekend together. After the lighting, he said "Is that all?" He never wanted to go again. Mark and I are no longer together. Heather is living in Seattle now and long ago was too old to relive the old traditions.

But I will be at Easton's Candle-lighting ceremony. I will try to hear the speeches, sing along with the carols, and ooo and ahhh when the huge candle lights up. I'll go alone, but I'm sure I will see people I know. I'll go alone, bundled up against the cold. I'll go alone but in a crowd of people enjoying the season, I won't feel alone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home