Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Writing Everyday. . .

. . .is a lot of work. First you have to have something in the head that is worth putting onto the monitor screen. Then you have to actually sit in front of the monitor, turn on the computer and type the damn stuff. Sometimes it just seems like too much work.

But I've been doing it - writing everyday. Well, writing almost everyday. Since November 1 I think I've missed two days. Even with two days of slacking I still have more than 16000 words completed on a brand new book: The Change.

I enjoy writing everyday - I enjoy seeing the scenes that have been appearing in my mind take shape in words. It's so easy in my head - so difficult to write it down sometimes.

I'm finding that the characters of this book are with me during the day - even when I'm not writing them. Every so often I find myself thinking about Harri, Ruby and Jill and wondering what they're doing. Geesh! They're DOING what-the-hell-ever I WANT them to do. I am their creator, aren't I? Or am I?

One day I found Harri doing something that I had originally thought was very un-Harri-like: she dented her ex-husband's new caddy with a grotesque chrome and glass sculpture - and she did it without even touching either car or monstrosity. I just believed that Harri wouldn't be using her powers for destruction. Wrong! Harri was a woman scorned, scorned badly and in the worse way - her husband had left her for a much younger woman. Harri had to get back at him - she had to do it for closure. The caddy was just the start. . .

So each day as I write, I'm learning more and more about these three very different but strong women - and I'm learning a little each day about myself.

Would I dent the hood of an ex's brand new car? Maybe.
Would I think about doing it? Definitely.

That's the thing: Harri, Ruby and Jill are me and I'm them. In telling their stories, I'm rewriting mine. I'm making a change - everyday - by writing - everyday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home