Monday, November 08, 2004

A Little Corner of a Dream

I'm a nurse. But I really wanted to be a journalist. As a teenager I wanted to work at the Washington Post - hell, I could have been Woodward or Bernstein. But instead of college, I went to nursing school. Long story - part of which can be found in my archives under "Nursey."

So I'm a nurse instead of a journalist. But every so often I get to live in a little corner of that old dream. Today I have a column in the Express-Times. It's just a personal essay about my mother - not anything close to investigating all the President's men. But it's my words; it's a true story; it's relevant; and it's in print. I was even at E-T last night to get my new "head-shot" - which sounds a lot messier than it really is. It's just a new picture that will be about one half inch by one half inch. The picture they were going to use was from 1997, when I was getting published frequently in the paper's now-defunct "Her View" column.

My sister was Assistant Features Editor for several years and my daughter was News Production Editor for a few years longer. They both left - for different reasons. I still seem to want to keep my metaphorical foot in the door.

I guess I want to live in my dream - even if it's just a little corner of it.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home