Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Upon Seeing a List of My Weights

Sometimes there are things you just don’t need to know. Like what you weighed when you first met the boyfriend who dumped you after five years.

I was at my doctor’s recently – check-up and some out of whack bloodwork (well, I AM almost 60 and it stands to reason.. . .). Since I’m a nurse, my doctor and I look at my chart together – reviewed bloodwork history, the good and the bad, against my weight history – the mostly bad. There didn’t seem to be much of a correlation – weight down, cholesterol and blood sugar up. Weight up – cholesterol and blood sugar down.

“I eat high fiber, low-fat and drink soy,” I had whined to poor Dr. Mehta. He looked at the numbers again. “Your genetics just may be catching up to you” was his professional opinion. Hmmmm? Whaaaa? I was busy thinking something else all together.

While looking at the weight sheet lining up the worse number in my life (as it has been for 50 of my 58 years), I noticed that during the months of the first blush of attraction with last (and maybe “last” in more ways than one) gentleman, I was 20 pounds lighter than I am now. Was I this weight upon break-up? Don’t know – maybe. Did I add pounds after break-up – probably. Is weight-gain a sign of “settling in” or “feeling secure”? Again – maybe. Or is it secondary to being upset? For me, the emotional eater: a big YES!

Does any of this mean diddly-squat? No. Just an interesting take on breaking up over 50.

Still – I gotta get the weight down. Not to attract another man. Why would I want a "Shallow Hal"? Just don’t wanna go on a statin or hypoglycemic. Just don’t want anymore pills in the cabinet.

Really just don’t wanna admit that I need pills.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home