Monday, December 27, 2004

"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"

So, I thought, "What can I do on Christmas since I'll be alone?"

I didn't want to go back to Pattie and Gary's where I'm reminded that my sister has what I'm missing - nice home, a man who loves her, etc. . . Nope. Had that on Christmas Eve and even though she asked me over for Christmas Day dinner, I declined.

I didn't want to sit in my apartment and brood.

I should get out and DO something. Volunteer - do a good deed.
I should go to one of our nursing homes and do something with the Activity Department. What a great idea! Well, at least I thought it was a great idea.

I was at Easton Nursing Center on Christmas Day, helping to hand out presents to the residents - many of whom wouldn't have visitors or gifts on Christmas. The Salvation Army was very generous with stockings for each resident. There were also many wrapped gifts - new items bought by the staff for the residents - sweaters, cologne, stationary - nice gifts.

I spent almost three hours playing Santa's helper. I paid for it the next day - I could hardly get up from the sofa - my back and knee pain was so great. I had to push myself up with my hands and then press my hands on my thighs, still bent over, to slowly straighten up.

I took two Aleve for the pain so I could move - get out of the house and buy groceries. I know all about Aleve - I figure that I'll get rid of my back pain with Aleve now and when I have my heart attack they can give me freakin' morphine in the ER. I need to be able to move NOW - not worry what's going to happen to me in the future.

I soaked in a hot tub last night and took my Flexoril as ordered. So the pain is a little better this morning. But I'm waiting for the return since I had to shovel snow this morning.

Christmas Day delivering presents to the residents and the subsequent pain made me recognize a truth - never back to nursing - not general duty nursing - I would die from the pain.

I guess it's time for a new career - one where I don't have to sit, stand or walk for long periods of time. One where I don't have to drive long distances or lift anything.

Hmmm? When I find a job like that, I'll let you know.
Until then, I guess I'll just suffer and take Aleve - at least until they pull it off the shelf.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home