Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Snow Storm

We're having another one up the east coast - and the Lehigh Valley will probably get anything from 8 to 12 inches.

Years ago when I was younger, snow storms made me anxious. I needed to get to work, no matter what and sometimes I stayed at work, no matter what. There were no laws against mandation; there were no problems about staying over in the facility. Everyone worked together to take care of the residents. It was an emergency. If school was closed and someone didn't have a babysitter, they brought their kids into the facility. The kids helped in activities and visited the residents.

I cooked breakfast one morning because the dietary staff couldn't get in - that was after a 24 hour shift in an ice storm - I was the only RN to get in for 16 of those 24 hours - well, actually, I didn't "get in" - I stayed.

It doesn't always happen that way these days.

Luckily I'm an old nurse with a back too bad to give direct care and I'm in "corporate" now. Whatever...
I was there for many shifts, many holidays, many weekends, many snow and ice storms.

I'll go out frequently today to clear off my car and shovel around it - so I don't have to do it all at once and so I can get into the office tomorrow. I'll do my part...but these days my part is a bit different...and slower.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home