Saturday, December 04, 2004

WWJD

This are very famous initials. Many young people - Christians - wear a bracelet with those letters. They mean (in case you don't know and if you don't, where HAVE you been?): What Would Jesus Do.

I'm all for wearing a symbol to remind you of your values. But let's really look at those values. Are we practicing what He preached?

Let me say just one thing before I go any further. Those of you who have been reading my posts know that I'm a witch, pagan, Wiccan - whatever term is okay by me. You may question why I capitalized the "h" in he when refering to Jesus. Make no mistake about my beliefs, gentle reader, I believe in Jesus; He may even had been the Son of God/Goddess. If nothing else, He was a valuable teacher and loving leader. It's what Christianity has done to His message that bothers me. I can honor Him and still not need Him to be my Savior - only I can do that. .

I hope that the people who wear the WWJD bracelet would honor Jesus' words: love thy neighbor, blessed are the peacemakers, let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Those are just a few of His teachings. Unfortunately I don't see those teachings being followed by many of the people who would wear WWJD.

As for me, I could wear WWJD but it would stand for: What Would John Do - as in Lennon.
"And so it is Christmas and what have you done?"

Well, John - probably not enough. So many years after your murder, after your work for peace, so many years later, there is still war, hunger, greed, hate. I don't think you'd be happy with this world today. And, you know what? I don't think Jesus would either.

WWJD



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home