Thursday, March 22, 2012

Weird Day

It was a weird, long day.

I'm still in the office twice a week. My last day will be Tuesday. Everything has been handed over to my replacement and since I'm officially retiring, I'm not even helping her.
There was a meeting in the office with all of the eastern administrators, people I've known for years. I kept my office door shut. I felt odd. I really didn't know what to say if someone approached me.
It's not as if there was a retirement luncheon for me so all of us could say say our official good-byes. No official closure.

The closing of PennMed's Allentown office as been like that, a slow tortuous good-bye as people are let go every other week. I likened it to the multiple surgeries on a bad leg - first a toe, then the forefoot, then the entire foot...Well, you get the picture.
Today I felt like a hanger-on. Someone not invited to the party -- when I was the one that chose not to go.
Like I said: weird.

I did do some reading of professional material and reviewed new policies and procedures that were sent out--just in case.
I am going to PADONA next week to keep up my credits for my RN.
I'm not sure how long I'll do that. My back says no general duty nursing every again and I never did go back to school to finish my BSN. Now I don't want it.

It's hard to let go of something that's been a major part of your life, even when you're the one pushing it away.
Definitely weird.

2 Comments:

Blogger DragonLady said...

Oh, I feel for you, but it won't last long. A week, maybe two. Then you will be so busy with things you *want* to do, you won't think about it anymore. [been there, done that]

8:25 PM  
Blogger Joylene Nowell Butler said...

I've been retired for a while, and I'm here to tell you, I have no idea how I ever managed when I worked. Best of luck with your retirement.

Joylene Nowell Butler, Author

1:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home