Monday, February 16, 2009

Romancing the Laptop

image: kathleen-turner.com

I worked yesterday - worked hard on my writing.
Remember the first scene of "Romancing the Stone" when Joan Wilder (Kathleen Turner) has just finished her manuscript and is feeling so emotional she's crying. And there are no tissues and no toilet paper to sop up her tears. If I remember correctly, she uses the sleeve of an over-sized shirt. She was finished and happy....

That's how I felt yesterday - but with toilet paper.

I worked hard and felt happy. I always feel good after I've written something that I think is passable - not great - but maybe the beginning of good.

Then I read for a bit, watched Sherlock Holmes (the one with Jeremy Brent), read some more and collapsed into bed feeling pretty good about my day.

Except for one thing:
A need to get a mystery short story moving a long. So I told myself, "Think about the story. Dream about the story..." before I fell asleep.

Not a bad practice; however, I was up at 3:30 AM, writing the damn story because I could not get it out of my head.

Now it's 6 AM. I have some fairly decent words on a couple of pages. I feel great! Not in tears like Joan Wilder, but great. I feel like I have the start of something interesting.

The only problem is: I gotta go to work.
SIGH

There will be no Michael Douglas waiting to take me on an adventure. But I will have my short story waiting for me when I get home. And that's an adventure in itself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home