Sunday, August 03, 2008

Forty years and counting.....

Pop used say to me, "You never finish anything." So much for increasing my self esteem. That phrase went along all the dissing about my weight -(for another post).
I went to nursing school in 1965 and because of that phrase, I graduated in 1968 - August 1968. I wanted to quit so many times. I hated it, hated it, hated it. But every time I thought I had the courage to quit, Pop's voice would ring in my ears. He'd spent $500 on my education, not counting driving the 200 miles to see me once a year and the $5/month spending allowance. I was afraid to quit. I knew I couldn't go home. So I stayed, thinking maybe one day...
One day never came. I got my RN license in Feb 1969 after passing my state boards. I've worked full time every since - not counting sick time for surgeries (usually cancer) and a very short maternity leave (unpaid).
At 61 I'm stuck. I still hate the job - "But you're so good at it...." coming from people at work doesn't help. My heart is sore from what could have been. But I'm trying to think positively and living for the time I can retire. I can't do it at 62 - no health insurance. So I'll wait and do the best I can.
In the meantime I'm trying to jump starting a writing career - hoping that finally in my old age I can do what I really wanted to do.


As for never finishing anything, Pop:
Scores of articles - published in various venues
One novella
Three completed manuscripts.

So there!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home