Thursday, July 26, 2007

"Latchkey Mom"

I've had a busy couple of days.
My last day at work before leaving for Seattle was very hectic and long. I didn't leave the office until 5:30 and then had some running around to do since I was taking a 7:45 AM bus to Newark Airport the next morning.
And of course the day I fly to Seattle is always a long one. Heather picked me up at the airport. We made a quick trip to the grocery store mostly for milk since we'll only be in Everett for another day. We got take-out for supper.
By the time we got to Heather's apartment, I crashed. Last night I was sleeping so soundly that I wasn't even snoring, Heather said, and she checked me to make sure I was breathing. Everything - the last couple of months of worrying about her surgeries and then six weeks of long work hours - everything caught up to me. Crashed is the best word.

Revived is another good word.
This morning it was as if I'd been rejuvenated. The day is sunny and breezy - not going above 75. Heather's flowers are in full bloom. I have no aches or pains. And I'm getting excited about going to Alaska.

Heather just left for work and I was given "orders" to do nothing - to rest and relax. She wanted to make sure I had everything I needed. "Call me if you need anything. I can pick it up on the way home. Here are the keys..." The roles had changed - she was leaving me "home alone" and she wanted to make sure I was okay - safe and happy.

"I have books, a full pot of coffee, JK Rowling will be on the Today Show, the computer, and sunny porch. I have all I need," I assured her.

Damn, it's nice having someone worry about me - concerned about my comforts.
That would be a vacation even if we weren't cruising to Alaska.

Taking book and coffee to porch - beginning my vacation as a latchkey mom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home