Sunday, September 21, 2008

My Favorite Time of Year


Sitting on my new living room furniture in my new apartment, the French door open to the cooling late September evening air, I heard the voices of children playing outside. Unlike most people my age who've been used to living alone for many years, I welcomed the sound. There were no children in my old apartment complex.

I found that out one lonely Halloween/Trick or Treat night. I had hurried home from work to dress in my witch regalia, broom included. I poured bags of candy into my brown earthenware bowl. I turned my porch light on. I turned off most of the inside lights and waited. And waited...and waited...and waited. My doorbell didn't ring all evening. Disappointed, I reluctantly took off my witch persona and turned on the TV. I took the candy (well, most of it) into work.

Yesterday as I listened to kids playing, I fantasized about the coming Trick or Treat night, this year falling, happily for this witch, on Halloween. I have my black dress, my striped tights, my cape and broom - and of course the hat - all ready to go.

I'll need to buy lots and lots of candy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home