Friday, February 29, 2008

What Would Pop Say?

The sign on the pole in the community college cafeteria read: "Barack the Valley".
Cool, I thought.
Heather's a precinct delegate for Obama.
Cooler still.
My how times have changed: Her grandfather, my father, regularly used "The N-word" and when I think of that time, it seems as if was another lifetime ago. Then I think how far we've come.
I don't want to go back.

If Pop's rolling around on top of Hay Cemetery in Rada, West Virginia, well, so be it. I hope that somehow he would have made peace with changes that were inevitable. I think he'd started before he died. Recognizing your own mortality does that to you.

So, even if Pop is rolling, I have a feeling that Mom, right next to him, is saying, "Frank, give it up and go back to sleep."

Mom would have liked Barack.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home