Sunday, April 30, 2006

New York City's Finest....





...and they are.

After the 30 block walk down Broadway to Foley Square, I found myself at the Javitis Federal Building which had a nice low wall,just right to rest an old woman's bones. There were several of us taking a break as we watched hundreds upon hundreds of marchers coming down the street.

A very nice young city policeman came over to us and said, "I can't allow you to sit here. This is federal property."

I stood up slowly, old knees creaking, and fingered the leaflet in my pocket. Earlier in the day someone saying, "Know your rights," had given me a paper listing my rights as a demonistrator and what to do if I got into a problem with the police.

"Okay," I said, raising the old, tired body off Sentor Javitis's marble wall. "Even though I paid for this slab, I'm standing up."

The young cop looked at me and shrugged, "I'm sorry."

Later I heard him talking to another young cop. "I hate having to ask these old ladies not to sit on that wall."

"Hey! Watch who you're calling old!" I yelled at him.

And that's the closest I got to getting into trouble with New York City's finest.
And anyone who knows me, knows that I have a big spot in my heart for cops. (RPK)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home