Monday, November 14, 2005

I want a Tabby . . .

. . .no, not cat - already have 2 tabbies.

I've just finished listening to "On Writing" by Stephen King (see yesterday's blog) and I've decided I need a Tabitha Spruce King. Tabitha is King's Initial Reader. Or is it "Ideal Reader"? I know it's one of them because he calls her his "IR." I just can't remember which label he uses, but either one fits. He says that everyone should have an IR or a couple of IRs who will tell you the truth - like your baby is ugly (my phrase, not Stephen's - and I feel I can call him Stephen since I've known him since the 70s - or at least his writing).

Your IR should not only tell your baby is ugly, but where and why your baby is ugly. Your IR does NOT rewrite or attempt to get you to rewrite in their image (also my phrase but inspired by Stephen's words). The rewriting is yours alone - very much alone.

Stephen also doesn't hold "much truck" (my phrase, but I think he must have used it because it's stuck in my head) with critique groups - especially daily critiques.
A writer should write the first draft with "the door closed" (S's words) and then the rewrite should be with "the door open" (his words again). Door closed is just you and your story. Door open is when the book is completely finished and your IR, your Tabby, reads it and tells you where it's ugly.

I have to agree with Stephen about critiquing in bits and pieces. I always felt that when I did that it was a book by committee, not a book by Mitzi.

So I'm not in the market for a citique group. But I do want my own Tabby.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home