Monday, October 04, 2004

Monday Morning

This is not a rant.

Driving to work this morning was a wonderful experience. I love this month (see previous post: "The Best Month"). But of course there was the nagging thought, always in the back of my mind: "if I didn't have to work, I could be writing." I'm trying to be more positive about things - so I let that little bugger slip deeper into the gray matter.

At an intersection about a mile from work, I was waiting for the light to turn green when I saw a car ahead of me that seemed to be on the curb. There was a large piece of metal on the ground behind it. As the light turned and I drove toward the car, I could see it was an older model Caddy - the entire back bumper, lights and all, had fallen off. Geesh! What a way to start Monday morning. Someone pulled ahead of the stopped car and the driver got out - maybe a friend coming to help him out. I passed them, thinking, "Blessings to you, sir and your Caddy."

I parked in the lot of our office building, near Allentown's airport (frequented lately by Air Force One since PA is a "swing state"). No one else was there; I was the first one. I don't have a key - don't want that responsibility. So I waited, listening to NPR and checking out the trees.

I realized something as I looked at the trees. I've been drawing them all wrong - or at least some of them - drawing them all wrong for the last 50 odd years. There is at least one tree in front of my office whose brances come out perpendicular to the trunk, not in a "Y". Hmmm? I wonder what type it is? I've forgotten all my Girl Scout training. I guess I'll just have to get a tree book to accompany my office bird book.

I really need to spend some time alone in the woods. I think I'll give that to myself for my birthday - time alone in the woods.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home